Friday, April 13, 2012

When Are We Really Ready?

Since Steve and I started dating, I have felt ready before him.  I was the one that professed my undying love for him first thus thrusting us into a relationship instead of just a friendship.  No wonder he got freaked out.  I was ready to talk about marriage long before him, and kept my nails nicely manicured... just in case.  When we were married, I quickly tried to overturn the "five year plan" baby plan and suddenly just wanted to be a mom.  After each baby, I remember feeling "ready" for the next one pretty much when I stopped nursing one.  So, when Steve was the one that led our family into foster care, I was happily surprised.  It was something I always wanted to do, but so was going to Africa and adopting babies from all over the world.  It was something that I had surrendered to God and trusted Him with.
 
When we said "Good-bye" to Little Man, I was exhausted and ready to wait.  Steve was even more so.  After two wonderful respite opportunities with a precious little guy, I am feeling a little more ready. Steve and I had a chance to talk about that a few days ago and he is not feeling ready. 
So, when are we really ready?
I am convinced that God will move through Steve for this.  I trust God with this.  I am not anxious or forcefully trying to push my desires.  I know that God will lead us together.  I trust Him.  He knows what we need and what is best for all of us. 
I may need to be reminded of this when we are offered a tiny baby and Steve says, "Not yet."

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about letting your husband lead. I tend to push or pull pretty hard, and then wonder if I was too forceful. And I love it when I realize God is leading through my husband, and I can relax and wait.

    ReplyDelete