Tuesday, August 30, 2011

For Today

Yesterday's sermon was on Luke 21:29-38.  It was a warning to be ready and alert.  I was excited not only was Pastor Tim Smith right on, but he referenced Lord of the Rings when talking about Jesus coming again, the long awaited King!  I think I embarrassed my calm contemplative husband with my squeals of excitement.  Yes, I know I'm a geek.  It reminded me of  when I was watching Return of the King on DVD alone in my room and I was sobbing about Frodo and Samwise talking about the strawberries in the shire knowing that they had done their part in saving it.  Steve walked by the room and was startled by my tears and gently sat behind me grabbed my hand and asked me if I was alright.  After I recounted the emotions from the movie in response to his question he dropped my hand and left the room realizing that I'm okay and just caught up in the moment of the movie.  What a sweet guy married to a total geek.
Anyway the sermon yesterday was exciting.  It was about being ready for Christ's return.  It got me thinking about the phrase" living in the present".  I hear that a lot in movies as a good thing.  I think the users mean it as really experiencing the moment to the fullest and enjoying were you are at.  Although the sentiments in and of them selves I do not believe to be wrong, living in just the moment traps you into missing out on the hope of the future.  The present is not the only reality.  In fact I think it is a lesser reality.  I have a greater, future hope that enhances the present reality and does not diminish it.  Focusing on that greater future hope affects the present.  For example our family got the awesome blessing of going to Hawaii this summer.  It was beautiful, fun, and amazing.  It was thoroughly enjoyable but was not my greatest hope.  I enjoyed it and seeing the beauty and variety of God's creation, but heaven will be a greater paradise.  So, there wasn't the pressure to selfishly consume and experience every moment to the fullest.  Believe me we had a great time but if something went wrong, it wasn't devastating because I have hope in a greater paradise that is ultimately more satisfying and beautiful.
So today is an ordinary Monday morning.  Nothing like Hawaii today.  The reality today is nothing special.  But the greater Reality today is that my time is short and I want to be focused on the greater Reality of Jesus and his Kingdom.  But what does that look like in my life.  I have things to do today; workout, Bible reading, homeschool, taking care of a baby, errands, making food, planning, cleaning.  Does it change what my day looks like to be Kingdom focused?  The truth is that is matters where my heart focus is, otherwise the focus is just on the present. 
So, I ask myself, "Where is my focus today?".  Am I consumed by just the present and losing sight of the eternal?  Or am I serving in the present for the eternal?  It makes a big difference for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment